For information on training this skill, see Magic training.
Magic is a skill in Runescape Classic that allows players to cast spells using runes. Many of the spells can be cast on monsters and other players to inflict damage or decrease stats. Aside from combat spells, the magic spellbook also offers many useful spells such as teleportation, enchantment and alchemy. When a player successfully casts a spell on an opponent, a blue star represents the spell and is shot toward the enemy. Players with level 66 magic or higher, can access the Wizards' Guild in Yanille.
There are many spells in the magic spell book. Each spell has a different effect and requires a different combination of runes in order for them to be cast. Upon casting a spell, the player will receive an amount of experience calculated using the formula: $ 20 + L2 $ Where L is equal to the level required to cast that spell.
Every spell has the chance to be cast unsuccessfully which will result in the player having to wait 20 seconds before they are able to cast another spell. Failing a spell will not use up the runes in the players inventory and the player will not gain any magic experience. Having a higher magic level and wearing equipment with magic bonuses will reduce the chance of failing a spell, and you tend to stop failing to cast a spell around 10 Magic levels above the magic level requirement of the spell you're currently casting (For example you would stop failing to cast the high level alchemy spell at around 65 Magic). Having a higher magic level won't affect how hard you hit. While casting combat spells, successfully cast spells can still hit the opponent for 0 Hits.
|Level||Spell name||Description||Runes required||Experience|
|1||Wind strike||A strength 1 missile attack||1 air-rune and 1 mind-rune||22|
|3||Confuse||Reduces your opponent's attack by 5%||3 water-runes, 2 earth-runes and 1 body-rune||26|
|5||Water strike||A strength 2 missile attack||1 water-rune, 1 air-rune and 1 mind-rune||30|
|7||Enchant lvl-1 amulet||For use on sapphire amulets||1 cosmic-rune and 1 water-rune||34|
|9||Earth strike||A strength 3 missile attack||2 earth-runes, 1 air-rune and 1 mind-rune||38|
|11||Weaken||Reduces your opponent's strength by 5%||3 water-runes, 2 earth-runes and 1 body-rune||42|
|13||Fire strike||A strength 4 missile attack||3 fire-runes, 2 air-runes and 1 mind-rune||46|
|15||Bones to bananas||Changes all held bones into bananas!||2 earth-runes, 2 water-runes and 1 nature-rune||50|
|17||Wind bolt||A strength 5 missile attack||2 air-runes and 1 chaos-rune||54|
|19||Curse||Reduces your opponent's defence by 5%||3 earth-runes, 2 water-runes and 1 body-rune||58|
|21||Low level alchemy||Converts an item into coins||3 fire-runes and 1 nature-rune||62|
|23||Water bolt||A strength 6 missile attack||2 water-runes, 2 air-runes and 1 chaos-rune||66|
|25||Varrock teleport||Teleports you to Varrock||3 air-runes, 1 law-rune and 1 fire-rune||70|
|27||Enchant lvl-2 amulet||For use on emerald amulets||3 air-runes and 1 cosmic-rune||74|
|29||Earth bolt||A strength 7 missile attack||3 earth-runes, 2 air-runes, 1 chaos-rune||78|
|31||Lumbridge teleport||Teleports you to Lumbridge||3 air-runes, 1 earth-rune and 1 law-rune||82|
|33||Telekinetic grab||Take an item you can see but can't reach||1 air-rune and 1 law-rune||86|
|35||Fire bolt||A strength 8 missile attack||4 fire-runes, 3 air-runes and 1 chaos-rune||90|
|37||Falador teleport||Teleports you to Falador||3 air-runes, 1 law-rune, and 1 water-rune||94|
|39||Crumble undead||Hits skeletons, ghosts and zombies hard!||2 earth-runes, 2 air-runes and 1 chaos-rune||98|
|41||Wind blast||A strength 9 missile attack||3 air-runes and 1 death-rune||102|
|43||Superheat item||Smelt 1 ore without a furnace||4 fire-runes and 1 nature-rune||106|
|45||Camelot teleport||Teleports you to Camelot||5 air-runes and 1 law-rune||110|
|47||Water blast||A strength 10 missile attack||3 water-runes, 3 air-runes and 1 death-rune||114|
|49||Enchant lvl-3 amulet||For use on ruby amulets||5 fire-runes and 1 cosmic-rune||118|
|50||Iban blast||A strength 25 missile attack!||5 fire-runes and 1 death-rune|
(Staff of Iban required)
|51||Ardougne teleport*||Teleport to Ardougne||2 water-runes and 2 law-runes||122|
|53||Earth blast||A strength 11 missile attack||4 earth-runes, 3 air-runes and 1 death-rune||126|
|55||High level alchemy||Convert an item into more gold||5 fire-runes and 1 nature-rune||130|
|56||Charge water orb||Needs to be cast on a water obelisk||30 water-runes, 3 cosmic-runes and 1 Glass orb||132|
|57||Enchant lvl-4 amulet||For use on diamond amulets||10 earth-runes and 1 cosmic-rune||134|
|58||Watchtower teleport**||Teleport to the Watchtower||2 earth-runes and 2 law-runes||136|
|59||Fire blast||A strength 12 missile attack||5 fire-runes, 4 air-runes and 1 death-rune||138|
|60||Charge earth orb||Needs to be cast on an earth obelisk||30 earth-runes, 3 cosmic-runes and 1 Glass orb||140|
|60||Claws of Guthix||Summons the power of Guthix||4 air-runes, 1 fire-rune and 2 blood-runes|
(Staff of Guthix & Guthix Cape required)
|60||Saradomin Strike||Summons the power of Saradomin||4 air-runes, 2 fire-rune and 2 blood-runes|
(Staff of Saradomin & Saradomin Cape required)
|60||Flames of Zamorak||Summons the power of Zamorak||1 air-rune, 4 fire-runes and 2 blood-runes|
(Staff of Zamorak & Zamorak Cape required)
|62||Wind wave||A strength 13 missile attack||5 air-runes and 1 blood-rune||144|
|63||Charge Fire Orb||Needs to be cast on a fire obelisk||30 fire-runes, 3 cosmic-runes and 1 Glass orb||146|
|65||Water wave||A Strength 14 missile attack||7 water-runes, 5 air-runes and 1 blood-rune||150|
|66||Charge air orb||Needs to be cast on an air obelisk||30 air-runes, 3 cosmic-runes and 1 Glass orb||152|
|66||Vulnerability||Reduces your opponent's defence by 10%||5 earth-runes, 5 water-runes and 1 soul-rune||152|
|68||Enchant lvl-5 amulet||For use on dragonstone amulets||15 water-runes, 15 earth-runes and 1 cosmic-rune||156|
|70||Earth wave||A strength 15 missile attack||7 earth-runes, 5 air-runes and 1 blood-rune||160|
|73||Enfeeble||Reduces your opponent's strength by 10%||8 earth-runes, 8 water-runes and 1 soul-rune||166|
|75||Fire wave||A strength 16 missile attack||7 fire-runes, 5 air-runes and 1 blood-rune||170|
|80||Stun||Reduces your opponent's attack by 10%||12 earth-runes, 12 water-runes and 1 soul-rune||180|
|80||Charge||Increase your mage arena spell's damage||3 fire-runes, 3 air-runes and 3 blood-runes||180|
Unlike RuneScape 2, armour does not decrease the magic bonus when equipped which is the reason it is often worn by mages instead of equipment that raises their magic bonus.
The following items increase a Player's magic bonus:
- God Cape +10
- Main article: Magic training
Magic is one of the hardest skills to train in RuneScape Classic due to the lack of runes caused by the absence of the runecrafting skill. Because of this, runes are high priced and training can be very expensive.
|Wizard's Mind Bomb||+2% + 2 levels||Visible|
- Witch's Potion - Rewards $ XP = Level * 50 + 225 $
- Imp catcher - Rewards $ XP = Level * 100 + 375 $
- Grand tree - Rewards $ XP = Level \times 50 + 150 $
- Watchtower - Rewards the player with a Spell scroll which unlocks the Watchtower teleport and also rewards experience proportional to the player's magic level
- Plague City - Rewards the player with a Magic scroll which unlocks the Ardougne teleport
- Underground Pass - Rewards the player with Iban's staff, necessary to cast the Iban blast spell
- Mage Arena mini-game - This is required to equip the God Staves, God Capes and be able to cast the God Spells
- Bluerose13x was the first player to achieve level 99 in the Magic skill.
- The Wizard's Mind Bomb temporarily increases Magic level by either 2 or 3 levels (dependant on the player's Magic level) and is not commonly used unless the player wishes to access the Wizards' Guild, or wishes to cast Magic in PvP situations.
- There is only 1 spellbook in RuneScape Classic, unlike RuneScape 2 which has 3 spellbooks in total.
- In RuneScape Classic, the santa hat provides a magic bonus of +3, which is different to RuneScape 2 in which it is purely cosmetic.
- Magic used to be split into two skills: GoodMagic and EvilMagic. However, these skills were joined into just Magic.
- Players kept the highest of the two magic skills and not the sum of experience.
- At one point during RuneScape Classic's development, a set of spells was being created, which allow players to summon monsters and would have used the life-rune which can only be found within the game's data files. It was put on hold upon the release of RuneScape 2, and eventually became the Summoning skill.
- In Devious MUD, the skill was called "Sorcery" which like the early days of Classic was divided in two but named distinct: Sorcery-Defence and Sorcery-Offence