Quests are groups of related tasks, usually delegated and driven between the player and multiple non-player characters. These can take varying amounts of time to complete and form some sort of cohesive story, comprised of dialogue and scripted events. Upon completing a quest, the player will receive a pre-determined number of Quest Points (QP) and some type of reward in the form of coins, items, skill experience (XP), or access to new content. There are a total of fifty quests in the game, with the last to be released being Legend's Quest. The list of quests can be found by clicking the Quest tab on the right side of the Stats page. Quests that have been highlighted in green are those that have been completed, otherwise they are marked red.
The following shows the minimum skill requirements to complete every quest in the game. Temporary skill boosts may be used to meet the skill requirements.
|Attack||20||The Holy Grail|
|Magic||59 (60)||Family Crest (Mage Arena)|
|Ranged||35||Temple of Ikov|
|Quest points||107||Legend's Quest|
|Total level||710 (711)||All Quests|
Although access to RuneScape Classic was eventually closed to free-to-play, the following is a list of quests that were originally playable to everyone.
|Black Knight's Fortress||*****||Medium||12 QP||3 QP|
|Cook's Assistant||*****||Short||none||1 QP, Cooking XP, access to the Cook's Range|
|Demon Slayer||*****||Medium||Defeat lvl-30 demon||3 QP, Silverlight|
|Doric's Quest||*****||Short||15 Mining*||1 QP, Mining XP, access to Doric's anvils|
|Dragon Slayer||*****||Long||32 QP, 34 Smithing*, 33 Magic, defeat lvl-43, 79, & 100 monsters||2 QP, Defense & Strength XP, ability to wear Rune Plate Mail Body|
|Ernest the Chicken||*****||Short||none||4 QP|
|Goblin Diplomacy||*****||Medium||none||5 QP, Crafting XP|
|Imp Catcher||*****||Long (can be very short)||none||1 QP, Magic XP, amulet of accuracy|
|The Knight's Sword||*****||Short-Medium||15 Smithing*, 10 Cooking*, 10 Mining, 2nd player||1 QP, Smithing XP|
|Pirate's Treasure||*****||Medium||none||2 QP|
|Prince Ali Rescue||*****||Medium||none||3 QP, free passage through Al Kharid toll gate|
|The Restless Ghost||*****||Short||Withstand combat from lvl-19 skeleton||1 QP, Prayer XP|
|Romeo & Juliet||*****||Short||none||5 QP|
|Sheep Shearer||*****||Short||none||1 QP, Crafting XP|
|Shield of Arrav||*****||Medium||Defeat lvl-10 or lvl-25 monsters, 2nd player||1 QP|
|Vampire Slayer||*****||Short||Defeat lvl-43 vampire||3 QP, Attack XP|
|Witch's potion||*****||Short||Defeat lvl-2 rat*||1 QP|
* The requirement applies only if the player gathers the item through the skill themselves. However, they can be obtained through other means.
|Biohazard||*****||Medium-Long||Plague City||3 QP, Thieving XP, access to Combat Training Camp & through Ardounge wall gateway|
|Clock Tower||*****||Long||Withstand combat from lvl-58 ogres||1 QP|
|Digsite||*****||Long||Druidic Ritual, 25 Thieving, 10 Agility & Herblaw||2 QP, Herblaw & Mining XP|
|Druidic Ritual||*****||Short||Withstand combat from lvl-32 bats||Access to Herblaw, 4 QP, Herblaw XP|
|Dwarf Cannon||*****||Medium||Withstand combat from lvl-32 bats||1 QP, Crafting XP, access to buy dwarf cannon & make cannonballs|
|Family Crest||*****||Long||59 Magic, 40 Crafting, Mining, & Smithing||1 QP, steel gauntlets|
|Fight Arena||*****||Short||Defeat lvl-46, 58, & 122 monster||2 QP, Attack & Thieving XP|
|Fishing Contest||*****||Short||10 Fishing||1 QP, Fishing XP, access to Dwarven tunnel under White Wolf Mountain|
|The Grand Tree||*****||Medium-Long||25 Agility, defeat lvl-175 demon||5 QP, Agility, Attack, & Magic XP, access to Tree Gnome Stronghold mine, gnome gliders, full access to Spirit Trees|
|Gertrude's Cat||*****||Short||5 Fishing*||1 QP, Cooking XP, access to kittens|
|The Hazeel Cult||*****||Short||Defeat lvl-13 monster (depending on choice)||1 QP, Thieving XP|
|Hero's Quest||*****||Medium-Long||Dragon Slayer, Lost City, Merlin's Crystal, Shield of Arrav, 55 QP, 53 Cooking & Fishing, 50 Mining, 25 Herblaw||1 QP, Attack, Cooking, Defense, Firemaking, Fishing, Herblaw, Hits, Mining, Ranged, Smithing, Strength, & Woodcut XP, access to Heroes' Guild, ability to wield dragon axe|
|The Holy Grail||*****||Medium-Long||Merlin's Crystal, defeat lvl-146 titan||2 QP, Defense & Prayer XP|
|Jungle Potion||*****||Short-Medium||Druidic Ritual, 3 Herblaw, withstand combat from lvl-58 jogres||1 QP, Herblaw XP|
|Legend's Quest||*****||Long||107 QP, 56 Magic, 52 Mining, 50 Agility, Crafting, Smithing, Strength, Thieving, & Woodcutting, 45 Herblaw, 42 Prayer, defeat lvl-92, 100, 106, & 172 demon||4 QP, Agility, Attack, Crafting, Defense, Herblaw, Hits, Magic, Prayer, Smithing, Strength, Thieving, or Woodcutting choice XP, access to Legends' Guild, ability to purchase cape of legends|
|Lost City||*****||Short||36 Woodcut, 31 Crafting, defeat lvl-95 tree spirit||3 QP, access to Zanaris, ability to wield dragon sword|
|Merlin's Crystal||*****||Medium-Long||Defeat lvl-58 monster, 2nd player||6 QP|
|Monk's Friend||*****||Short||none||1 QP, Woodcut XP|
|Murder Mystery||*****||Short-Medium||none||3 QP, Crafting XP|
|Observatory Quest||*****||Short||10 Crafting**, withstand combat from lvl-48 goblin||2 QP, Crafting XP, Attack, Defense, Hits, or Strength choice XP, ability to make Unholy Symbols of Zamorak|
|Plague City||*****||Short-Medium||none||1 QP, Mining XP, ability to cast Ardougne teleport|
|Scorpion Catcher||*****||Medium||Bar Crawl, 31 Prayer||1 QP, Strength XP, ability to enchant battlestaves|
|Sea Slug||*****||Short||30 Firemaking||1 QP, Fishing XP|
|Sheep Herder||*****||Short (can be long)||none||4 QP|
|Shilo Village||*****||Long||Jungle Potion, 32 Agility, 20 Crafting, 4 Smithing, defeat 3 lvl-83 monsters||2 QP, Crafting XP, access to Shilo Village|
|Temple of Ikov||*****||Medium||65 Fletching*, 42 Thieving, 35 Ranged, defeat lvl-63 monster||1 QP, Fletching & Ranged XP, ability to wield Staff of Armadyl|
|Tourist Trap||*****||Medium||20 Smithing, 10 Fletching, defeat lvl-64 monster||2 QP, Agility, Fletching, Smithing, or Thieving choice XP, ability to make Throwing darts, access to Desert Mining Camp mine|
|Tree Gnome Village||*****||Medium||Defeat lvl-100 monster||2 QP, Attack XP, Gnome Emerald Amulet of protection, partial access to Spirit Trees|
|Tribal Totem||*****||Medium||21 Thieving||1 QP, Thieving XP|
|Underground Pass||*****||Long||Biohazard, 25 Ranged, defeat 3 lvl-71, 3 lvl-78, & lvl-98 monsters||5 QP, Agility & Attack XP, Staff of Iban|
|Watchtower||*****||Medium-Long||40 Mining, 30 Agility, 15 Thieving, 14 Herblaw & Magic, defeat lvl-68 ogre||4 QP, Magic XP, ability to cast Watchtower teleport|
|Waterfall Quest||*****||Medium||Withstand combat from lvl-109 giants||1 QP, Attack & Strength XP|
|Witch's House||*****||Short||Defeat lvl-24, 34, 44, & 54 monsters||4 QP, Hits XP|
- * The requirement applies only if the player gathers the item through the skill themselves. However, they can be obtained through other means.
- ** The Observatory Quest is glitched in that it gives a message if the player's level is low, but still performs the action.
Mini-quests are a similar concept to quests in RuneScape in that certain tasks must be done. But unlike quests, they are not shown in the Quests tab, no Quest Points are given, and they are generally shorter in length than quests. In RSC, only one mini-quest was featured, the Alfred Grimhand Bar Crawl, being required to access the Barbarian Outpost Agility Course and finish the Scorpion Catcher quest.
- In the early days of RSC, some quests awarded Influence upon quest completion -- the early form of Quest Points.
- Checking quest status was added in 28 May 2001. Previously, players had to manually keep note of their missing quests and some did not even know of quests.
- Unlike in RuneScape 2, quests remain colored red until they are completed. Quests in progress aren't colored yellow.
- Unlike its successors, most quests upon completion in RSC do not mention they give skill experience and just give it hidden. It started to be discovered by players who would advance a level after finishing a quest that it became known into guides. Even so, many believed the experience reward was a flat amount rather than based on the player's skill level.
- Even though the majority of quests give a message of quest completion such as "you have completed the X quest", this is not the case for all (for example, the Fight Arena and Jungle Potion quests).
- Prior to 24 June 2001, the quest start point was not given on the official world maps.
- Pre-existing quests have undergone significant change after first being recreated for the release of RS2. In RuneScape 3:
- Sheep Shearer & Witch's Potion quests were re-classified as mini-quests and no longer award Quest Points;
- Demon Slayer and Druidic Ritual were changed considerably to add to their stories;
- 2-person quests were modified to be single-player quests;
- Black Knight's Fortress, Doric's Quest, Prince Ali Rescue, & Romeo & Juliet quests were outright removed in favor of new quests.