Smithing can be a slow and difficult skill to train because of the high cost of materials. But many players believe the reward of being able to produce runite weapons and armour to be worth the effort.
Firstly, to begin training Smithing, smith the highest-level item possible with bronze bars and iron bars, until level 30 where it is possible to smith steel bars. Completing The Knight's Sword quest can give a nice boost to early Smithing training.
- Seasoned smithers should know that Al Kharid has the closest furnace within range of a bank, and similarly west Varrock has the closest anvil to a bank.
- It is also useful to know that Jinno and Watto in Zanaris are also close to bankers, and will exchange ore and bars for certificates and vice-versa.
- Smithers should utilize the stat boosting brew, the dwarven stout, to boost their level by 1 when they wish to make items just above their reach.
- Superheat item may be used for additional Magic experience while smelting, and generally speeding up the smelting process if nature runes are at the player's disposal.
- See: Mining training on how to combine Mining and Magic with Smithing effectively
Road to mastery
A popular method for achieving 99 Smithing is solely through smelting steel bars and forging steel plates starting at level 48. This requires one to amass 237,000 iron ore and 474,000 coal. Coal and iron are some of the most traded commodities and retain a relatively low market value. Steel plates are often alchemized with High level alchemy, as even when buying nature runes this should produce a profit if the materials were obtained by the player. However, as pointed out in Mining training, self-sufficient smithers should focus on iron and gold Smithing.
Another way to gain experience is to obtain the Gauntlets of goldsmithing from the Family Crest quest. These gauntlets provide 33.5 Smithing experience per gold bar smelted from level 40 onward. Using the gauntlets, it would require 385,700 gold ores to achieve level 99 Smithing from level 1.
See Mining training for more information on where to mine gold
Smelting at Al Kharid furnace
- Steel bars: 7k experience per hour
- Gold bars: 27.6k experience per hour (w/ Gauntlets of goldsmithing)
- Mithril bars: 12k experience per hour
Smithing in Varrock
- Iron platebodies: 60.8k experience per hour
- Steel platebodies: 91.2k experience per hour
- Golden bowls: 19.6k experience per hour
- Mithril platebodies: 121.6k experience per hour
- Adamantite platebodies: 152k experience per hour
- Rune platebodies: 182.4k experience per hour