- For information on training this skill, see the Woodcutting training article.
Woodcutting is a skill available in RuneScape Classic that consists of cutting down trees and obtaining logs. A higher Woodcutting level will give players more trees to cut and a better chance of chopping down a tree. After having been cut down, a tree will respawn after a certain amount of time.
It is possible to fail to cut a tree, in which the player receives the following message:
You slip and fail to hit the tree
- The player doesn't get the logs, and the tree remains standing
- If the player fails to cut the tree, they must click again
The better the axe, the better the chance of successfully chopping a tree and receiving logs. Unlike RuneScape 2, there is no level requirement to use each axe for Woodcutting. However, the Attack level remains for wielding it as a weapon. Players without such requirement can still use the axe to chop logs by not wielding it.
|Image||Axe||Attack lvl||Shop locations||Price||Smithing lvl||Spawns||Monster drops|
|Black axe||10||Not sold||Not smithed||✖||✔|
|Mithril axe||20||Not sold||51||✖||✔|
|Adamantite axe||30||Not sold||71||✖||✔|
|Rune axe||40||Not sold||86||✖||✔|
Many different kinds of logs can be gathered with the Woodcutting skill at increasingly higher levels. All logs can be used to make bows with the Fletching skill. However, unlike in RuneScape 2, only regular logs can be used for Firemaking, not the higher-level logs. Also, only regular logs can be used to make arrow shafts.
Unlike in RS2, all log pictures look the same.
|Log||Level||Experience||Fatigue %||Logs / 100%||Respawn|
|Oak logs||15||37.5||0.8%||125||17 seconds|
|Willow logs||30||62.5||1.333%||76||35 seconds|
|Maple logs||45||100||2.133%||47||70 seconds|
|Yew logs||60||175||3.733%||27||2 minutes|
|Magic logs||75||250||5.333%||19||4 minutes|
|Oak tree||182||Gnome Stronghold, Seers Village, Grand Tree|
|Willow tree||35||Northwest of the Seers Village bank, west of the Grand Tree|
|Dramen Tree||Lost City quest||Entrana dungeon|
|Maple tree||28||Seers Village|
|Yommi Tree||Legend's Quest||Kharazi Jungle fertile earth|
|Yew tree||20||South-west of the Seers Village bank|
|Magic tree||14||South of Seers Village bank, Gnome Stronghold|
|This section or article is incomplete and could do with improvement.|
Reason: Expand tree locations list & add quantities.
You can discuss this issue on the talk page or this page to improve it.
Some types of logs can be exchanged for certificates. Each certificate is worth 5 logs of that type, and certificates stack for easier carrying and trading of large quantities. Chuck, on the north side of East Ardougne, will exchange the following certificates for logs (and vice versa):
Surprisingly, there is no magic logs certificate.
Woodcutting is required to complete some quests.
- Level 36 is required to cut the Dramen Tree in Lost City
- Level 50 is required to trim the fallen Yommi Tree into a Totem Pole in Legend's Quest
The following quests give Woodcutting experience rewards:
- In the early days,[ ] players had to use their axes on the trees to be able to cut them.
- Originally, there were only normal trees in RSC, and the experience gained when cutting trees raised with every level you gained according to the formula $ XP = Level * 1.75 + 28.25 $.
- When Fletching was released, Jagex added new trees for members and made a fixed limit of experience on chopping normal trees. It was 12.5 experience briefly and later changed to 25 experience. While Jagex compensated for this by changing Woodcutting to be able to be done with left click, many players (especially free users) were upset that reaching a high-level Woodcutting would take an unfortunately longer period of time.
- Firemaking still uses a dynamic experience amount since only normal logs can be burned in RSC.
- Everdred is the first known player to reach level 99 Woodcutting.
- It is possible to get magic logs at level 50 Woodcutting from Yommi Trees.